photo of Luci Schement

Major

Aerospace Engineering

Technical Area

Space Flight

Hometown

Murphy, TX

What made you decide to pursue an aerospace engineering degree? 

I have always had an interest in space. Typical of many ASE kids, I wanted to be an astronaut when I was little. In middle school, I took an introduction to engineering class and I absolutely loved it. We learned about street lights, elevators, automatic doors, and other everyday technologies. We designed and created models of these things, and that’s when I decided I wanted to be an engineer. I chose aerospace engineering because it allows me to combine my passion for design with my passion for space.

How has involvement in student groups and/or organizations made a difference in your education?

The past two years I’ve been in Women in Aerospace for Leadership and Development (WIALD). WIALD is a project-based organization that focuses on building an inclusive, positive environment for students to nurture their engineering skills. In my experience, we have worked on creating rovers and programming quadcopters. One of the great things about WIALD is that we encourage underclassmen to have leadership roles. My sophomore year, I was given the opportunity to serve as the treasurer. Being an officer allowed me to connect more with other members, and learn valuable leadership skills. I love WIALD because of the many opportunities it has given me to develop as an engineer as well as make friends.

Where is your favorite place to study?

On campus, I like to study at the Union. During finals week, my friends and I camp out there. It’s near the drag, so we can go on quick food runs and get back to studying. When I’m studying there and I need a break, I like to sit in the grass in the Main Mall by the Tower. Off campus, I usually study at Flightpath Coffee. Yes, I like to study here because it has to do with airplanes, but also because they have breakfast tacos. I like having food when I study. I’m a morning person, so I’ll head to Flightpath before class, get a coffee and a taco, study for a few hours, then take the 7 bus back to campus.

List three things that most people don't know about you.

• I love hot cheetos. 
  • I tore my ACL trying out for the UT quidditch team my first week of freshman year.
  • I have two world records for powerlifting.