photo of Amy Ekiriwang standing next to a plane

Hometown

Dallas, TX

Technical Area

Atmospheric

What made you decide to pursue an aerospace engineering degree? 

I never considered myself a "STEM person." I always leaned more toward things that didn't involve much science or math: English, history/art history, music, etc. For the longest time I was passionate about journalism, and my dream was to be a world traveling photojournalist. But then I had the realization that that life probably wasn't a good fit for me, which kind of derailed my whole life plan, and at the same time, I had this really great physics teacher in high school that helped me get over the mental block that I "wasn't a science or math person." I realized that physics was awesome. So I began to look into physics-related fields, and I thought, what's cooler than aerospace engineering? I couldn't come up with an answer to that, so here I am!

What has been your biggest reward while pursuing your aerospace degree at UT? 

Pursuing my aerospace degree at UT has been rewarding in so many ways. The biggest thing that stands out to me is how many great friends and memories I've been able to make because of it.

Has involvement in student groups and/or organizations made a difference in your education?

Involvement in student organizations definitely has made a difference in my education. It was very cool for me as a freshman to be introduced to some elementary versions of concepts that you don't learn until later on, and there is a lot of opportunity for hands-on work that taught me a lot. I was a little uncertain about this major when I first chose it, but getting involved in student organizations is what made me certain that I was in the right major for me. And it's cheesy, but one of the best feelings ever is watching the little aircraft you and your teammates/friends built take off and fly.