- The Center for Aeronautical Research (later The Center for Aeromechanics Research) was founded by Ronald O. Stearman.
- Dr. Stelios Kyriakides joined the department faculty.
- Dr. J. Parker Lamb assumed the chairmanship of the department.
- The Center for Space Research was established under the direction of Dr. Byron Tapley.
- NASA astronaut Paul S. Lockhart graduated with a Master’s of Science in Aerospace Engineering. He later served onboard two spaceflights, STS-111 and STS-113. Read more...
- Sigma Gamma Tau, the national aerospace engineering honor society, elected Dr. Wallace Fowler as its National President.
- TICOM hosted the First World Conference on Computational Mechanics.
- Drs. Jeffrey Bennighof and Gregory Rodin joined the department faculty.
- Dr. Byron Tapley was inducted into the National Academy of Engineering.
- Dr. Mark Mear joined the department faculty.
- Dr. J. Tinsley Oden was inducted into the National Academy of Engineering.
- Dr. Richard Miksad assumed the chairmanship of the department.
- Dr. Hans Mark joined the department.
- Dr. Philip Varghese joined the department faculty.